What is an NDIS service agreement?
An NDIS agreement states the terms and conditions between an NDIS service provider and an NDIS participant.
What is included in a service agreement?
As well as outlining the type of service that will be provided, your written service agreement also includes:
- Provider and participant personal details and contact information as well as contract start/end dates.
- Explanations on what the service agreement is for, what each party's responsibilities are, and agreement on payment terms.
- Details on how to change or cancel the agreement.
What to look for in service providers?
There are several questions you should consider before making your choice of service provider. These include:
- Do they offer the support I need?
- What skills and experience do their support workers have? and will they meet my needs?
- Is their price fair and within budget?
- Do I know anyone who can vouch for the quality of the services provided or anywhere I can check their reviews?
Are NDIS service agreements mandatory?
Only if you offer specialist disability accommodation supports under the NDIS rules.
Although they are not mandatory, your service agreement IS a legally binding document covered under Australian consumer law. They formalize your arrangement (ensuring you both share the same expectations), provide security and help resolve disputes between NDIS providers and NDIS participants.
Can I change my service agreement?
Yes, you can change your service agreement, but it's important to do so in a way that doesn't disrupt the support you currently receive. If you're unsure how to go about this, speak to your service provider or NDIS planner.
Can I cancel my service agreement?
You can cancel your service agreement, but it's important to note that you must do so in a written letter. You should also ensure that the service provider receives this as soon as possible and no later than five business days after signing the agreement.
Contact your support coordinator for any more advice specific to your situation.